October 14, 2016

Miss E likes my mac and cheese | Bread update

The adult version.

I didn't grow up eating mac and cheese. Nope. My mother had a terribly low opinion of noodles, and considered them to be filler — you only ate them to fill up if you had no other options. She grew up poor during the depression, and probably ate more noodles than she cared to remember. She scrimped and saved so her food budget would stretch to include meat on the nights my father was home for dinner, and chicken or fish on the nights he wasn't. The budget was tight, so she rarely bought junk food like chips or candy, and it wasn't until I was older that she allowed soda into the house. She was strict about what she considered 'healthy' foods worth spending money on. I remember once asking her to buy orangeade like I'd had at the neighbor's house, and she threw a fit about not throwing money away on sugar and water. If I wanted orangeade, she told me, I could add sugar and water to the orange juice we already had. I didn't. I asked often if she would please make spaghetti, but it was always a no. It wasn't until I told her my friend's mother made spaghetti one night a week, that she reconsidered. She thought very highly of my friend's parents, and I guess she decided if spaghetti was good enough for them, it was good enough for us. But mac and cheese? Never.

When my kids were growing up, and our family was vegan, I never thought about making mac and cheese. The only available cheese was 'cheese sauce' that I made myself, and I didn't make it that often. And for me, mac and cheese never registered as a comfort food; it was just not something I ever thought of.. For my grandkids, though, mac and cheese seems to be always on the menu. They eat dairy products, though, and I've never been able to make a mac and cheese that Miss E approved of — until now.

I made the insanely addictive queso from Naturally Lean, by Allyson Kramer. I added granulated onion and garlic to perk up the taste a bit (can't add actual onion because Miss E doesn't like to find onion bits in her food), and mixed about 3/4 of the cheese with 12 ounces of cooked noodles. I transfered some of the plain mac and cheese to a small baking dish for the kids before adding 1/4 cup chopped dried tomatoes, 1/4 cup chopped kalamata olives and 1/2 cup chopped parsley to the rest, sprinkled it with bread crumbs, then baked it. Miss E loved it. She said, with enthusiasm, "This is good!" Her brother wouldn't taste it, but you can't win them all. I liked it, too, and plan to make it again.


Bread Update


In my last post I talked about making a bread from buckwheat groats, and not being completely happy with the texture. I've been experimenting with the ingredients, combining ideas and ingredients from several recipes, and I love the results. I was going to include a recipe here but I have another bread experiment fermenting as I type, and I think I'll wait to see how it turns out. Also, we're in the midst of a weather situation here, and 10,000 people in Seattle are already without power. I think I'll just post this while I still can, and hope I'll be able to bake in the morning. Hope everyone comes through the storm with minimum impact.

8 comments:

  1. I didn't grow up eating mac n' cheese either. But yay for coming up with a vegan version that Miss E approves of! The adult versions looks quite good. I imagine the version for the kids is just plainer?

    Good job on the bread making too! We're getting some of the storm here in the SF Bay Area - stay warm and safe. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kid version was just the noodles and queso — no add-ins. I LOVE the bread. It's easy to make and made from whole grains and seeds — no starches or other fillers except for the psyllium husks.

      The storm didn't amount to much here, at least so far. We had some wind but not as bad as predicted. Unfortunately, other places weren't so lucky. Hope you don't have any serious weather problems.

      Delete
  2. I grew up eating only mac and cheese from the blue box. The mere concept of baking it was entirely foreign to me well into my teen years, so as much as I enjoy the crispy edges, I still rarely do it. Could be worth revisiting for that kind of endorsement though. :)

    Can't wait for that bread recipe... It looks so marvelously seedy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't even know what the blue box is, so you have more experience with mac and cheese than I do! The mac and cheese I made didn't taste quite finished before I baked it — after, it was delicious. It doesn't take very long to bake - just until the edges are crispy but before it dries out.

      Delete
  3. Another mac and cheese dodger here. It's not that my folks wouldn't have eaten it, I just think there's not a lot of it around when I was a kid. My mum only learnt to make it a bit ago, in fact, but she a fan now, as am I! I'm glad Miss E likes it - it looks good to me too! Hope the storm was OK in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one. Sometimes it seems like the mac and cheese train left without me.

      Delete
  4. to be honest I don't have the highest opinion of noodles either but that mac and cheese does sound good. I recently made a from scratch cheese sauce - for some reason, now that I think about it, there's no onion or garlic in it and it certianly could use some. Glad I read this before dinner time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit I was quite taken with the mac and cheese, and wouldn't mind having it again. And again. And yes, add some onion and garlic, and maybe some got pepper!

      Delete

Thanks for visiting Andrea's easy vegan cooking. I love, and read, all of your comments! Please share your thoughts.

There are a few Amazon links in the posts. Thanks in advance if you click on one.

Note: ALL THE IMAGES FROM THIS BLOG WERE ACCIDENTALLY DELETED ON 1-21-12. I'M RESTORING THEM, POST BY POST, BUT IT WILL TAKE A LONG TIME. Recipe pages you visit may be missing photos, but all the text in intact. If you find a post without images, let me know so I can fix it. Thanks!